Full width project banner image

Changing address? Who should you notify...

Jun 06, 2024

Share this article

Congratulations, you’ve secured a new place! Now, you need to notify key people and organisations of your new postal address.

To ensure nothing gets lost in the post, especially important documents like bills, car registration renewals and legal documents; start by making a list of places/people to update and then systemically working through it.

Usually you can update your details over the phone, but more often than not, an Online Form can be completed.

Suggested Key People/Organisation to Update

Government bodies:

  • Australian Taxation Office
  • Australian Electoral Commission
  • Medicare
  • Centrelink
  • State-based car and licence registration bodies
  • Local council, for rates, pet registration, library membership

Other organisations:

  • Banks and financial institutions
  • Utility providers, such as power, gas and water
  • Insurance companies, such as health, car, home, contents and pet
  • Phone and internet providers
  • Educational institutions, such as schools, universities and TAFEs, Childcare and after-school care providers
  • Employers
  • Superannuation providers
  • Pet microchip registries


  • Family and Friends who send you birthday and Christmas cards
  • Pen pals
  • Financial Adviser, Tax Agent, Property Manager

Fail Safe Ideas

To ensure nothing slips through the cracks, you can redirect your mail for a set period through Australia Post at a fee.

Australia Post also offer a service to notify selected banks, insurers, energy providers and telcos of your new address and it’s also possible to pay for Australia Post to hold your mail.